DAY 44 - Laughter: A Serious Matter by Gathy Tyree



Have you ever been 
eating or drinking something and right in the middle of your sip or forkful, someone says something funny? 

Now you become part of the story too. Or ever heard someone say, "I laughed so hard, " I (fill in the blank) thought I was going to die, I couldn't catch my breath, I fell from my chair" and so on. I love how laughter makes us react in ways that we can't control. Have you ever got the giggles in a meeting, or church, or some other inappropriate place where you're supposed to be focused on something else? People look at you with a righteous indignation for disrupting the tone of the situation, but others are smiling at you wanting to get in on the joke. Laughter can break out anywhere.
I also laugh at the way someone else is laughing uncontrollably. As a child if I heard my father laughing from another room, I'd run to watch him laughing. It was funny to watch him because he was so animated. He'd be laughing while telling the story and imitating the voice of the other person, slapping his hands together, walking back and forth and eventually rubbing his hands across his chest. There was always so much to see when he'd laugh that I would be laughing too.

I thought the cartoons I grew up watching were entertaining, yet now as an adult, when I watch an episode of Roadrunner, I have a different perspective in seeing all the violence the coyote endures.  As a child, I assume my focus was on how Roadrunner always escaped the elaborate traps the coyote set for him. While I might still get a chuckle out of it, now my focus is on the emotion and torment of the coyote as he gets blown up, flattened out, and limps away in defeat. Evidently, life has shown me to have compassion, and root for the underdog.


No one has ever called me the life of the party, but I'm not a wall flower either. I'm right there being entertained by someone else and then, like a meteor in the sky, here I come with an unexpected comment that sparks hysterics. The thing is, I’m not trying to be funny, and yet I  bring a perspective that rings of a truth that wasn't considered before. I like when that happens because as serious as life can be, I look for that silver lining that takes the heaviness away. I love that euphoric feeling I get after laughing along with my eyes tearing up as though I cried.


I would say I'm more of a "quippier" than a full on comedian as I am not the kind of person to call too much attention to myself. I love the humor of life and just focus on that. I have people in my life who see the glass half full and have a positive attitude towards life, and that joy spreads like a wildfire when we're all in the same room.
When I want to escape or just wind down to lift myself up, I enjoy watching something funny on television. Most likely I'll turn to an episode of Grace and Frankie on Netflix. The hilarity in the show is made to order just for me. There are so many themes to choose from in this show, and I love how it finds humor in the truths of life. In the same way a stand up comedian makes us laugh at ourselves it reminds me that I have a way to escape the weightiness that life brings me. 


LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH and PRAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

POSTS TO ENJOY

Procrastibaking: In the Kitchen with Julie (in Partnership with Literacy Connections)

Enjoy our first Thanksgiving special celebrating Literacy Connections and all things cookbook! https://www.procrastibakingpodcast.com/podcas...