WORKSHOPS THAT WORK! by Deborah Wright

Oftentimes, I tell people that I “grew up” in banking. My career began as a part-time teller at 18 years old; technically an adult, but still a child in many regards. In my short time on Earth, I had already experienced the loss of a home due to foreclosure, the struggles of entrepreneurship, and the daily challenges of financial illiteracy.  



At a very young age, I decided to become financially successful by pushing whatever limits were set before me.  What had begun as a dream part-time gig quickly fueled a desire to learn everything that I could about banking and managing money in an effort to make my own life better, then eventually led to a full-blown career focused on sharing that knowledge.  From my vantage point behind the teller line, I observed habits that led to folks becoming financially crippled and habits that led others toward financial success.  “Success” in this sense is really very subjective.  Some may dream about boats and vacation homes, while others dream about being able to take the family out to eat for dinner once a month without the risk of missing a utility payment.  My vision rests somewhere between the two.


When I became involved with the Bank on Wayne (BOW) program, I “geeked out” the first time I reviewed the course curriculum.  I’ve always been a person who likes to understand how the world around me works, and I am passionate about any opportunity to talk about money in general. We have far too many individuals in our families, workplaces, schools, and places of worship who are ill-equipped to serve as good stewards for their own finances.  
Knowing how to... 



MAKE
                          MANAGE 
                          
SAVE 



...money are minimum requirements for being able to make it in this world.  There are plenty of folks who will teach these principles, for a fee of course.  BOW provides an excellent opportunity to integrate carefully curated educational materials, professional expertise, and tough life lessons learned in a dynamic classroom experience for individuals at all levels of financial literacy.  These classes are truly “Workshops that work!”


As instructors, we are very interested in helping our neighbors to improve life for themselves, their families, and the community in which we live.  I would encourage you to reach out to Literacy Connections regarding the available workshops in order to find one that fits your needs.  We often hear, “time is money.”  Nothing could be truer when it comes to developing the skills needed to achieve financial success—whatever your definition of “success” may be. 



FREE FINANCIAL WORKSHOPS 
AVAILABLE TUESDAY EVENINGS AT 6PM
LITERACY CONNECTIONS
2001 East Ash St. - Building D
919-735-1990

No comments:

Post a Comment

POSTS TO ENJOY

Procrastibaking: In the Kitchen with Julie (in Partnership with Literacy Connections)

Enjoy our first Thanksgiving special celebrating Literacy Connections and all things cookbook! https://www.procrastibakingpodcast.com/podcas...