HOW HARRY POTTER MADE ME READ TWILIGHT by Rosemary Loomis

Contributions and Transcription provided by Camelia Walker

I’ve always loved to read. As a child, I loved having adventures with my favorite character, Nancy Drew. When my daughter was born, I was so excited and eager that she would enjoy journeying through books the way I did. I helped feed that love of books by reading to her each night when she was a baby. Before long, my daughter had developed her own love of reading.


One day when she was in the fifth grade, my daughter came to me and she was so excited!

"Mom! You have to read this book! It's so good!"

"What is it and what is it about," I asked. This was the first time she'd been this enthusiastic about a book, so I was interested to hear more. 

"It's called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

My daughter’s enthusiasm drove me to get a copy of the 

Harry Potter novel and read it. To my surprise, I liked the 

story, too, and we became fans of the series. Later that year, 

on a family camping trip, we listened to an audiobook version 

of the book. That was a fun way to enjoy the story a second 
time. I was amazed when my husband, trapped into listening 
to the story with us, said, “Hey, this is a pretty good book.”


From that book on, I made a habit of reading some of the 
books my daughter recommended. It gave us a chance to 

share our pleasure in compelling scenes and interesting 
characters. More importantly, it was a way for us to bond and 
spend quality time with one another. For some books like 
Holes by Louis Sachar, the fun was not only in reading the 
book, but reading it out loud to one another. A classic line 
like, “It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-
stealing great-great-grandfather!” is twice as good because 
we laughed at it together.

That quality time we spent through books became even more 
precious as she grew older and her world expanded.Although  
still an avid reader, as a teen my daughter was spending
more time with friends and engaged in activities I did 

not share. So, in the height of the Twilight fervor, when my 

daughter started another conversation with, "Mom! You have 

to read this book! It's called Twilight and it's great!", I took a 

deep breath and said, "Sure!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

POSTS TO ENJOY

Procrastibaking: In the Kitchen with Julie (in Partnership with Literacy Connections)

Enjoy our first Thanksgiving special celebrating Literacy Connections and all things cookbook! https://www.procrastibakingpodcast.com/podcas...