READING TO YOUR CHILD by Penny Ritt


My first experience being tasked with reading to a child was in graduate school with supervisors observing my actions and the child’s response and interaction to my reading selection.  I used my best theatrical expressions and voice patterns and read slowly so the child could understand what I was reading.  But, to my chagrin, the child did not respond to my reading selection, did not seem to enjoy the story, didn’t maintain his attention, and didn’t interact with me or my reading choice after the story was over. I feared that my session had been a futile attempt on my part and not an inspiring learning experience for the child.

Over time as an educator, parent, and grandparent (Gigi), I have learned many things that helped me instill interest in reading to children. 

 -  Read slowly but show enthusiasm as you read -

 - Provide books that are developmentally 
appropriate for your child -

- Let your child choose the books and pages to read -

- Let your child help hold the book and turn the pages -

 - Use picture books without words sometimes -

- Let your child describe the pictures 
and tell the story to you -


- When necessary, simplify stories so they are shorter, easier to follow and more fun - 

  - Keep books and magazines easily accessible 
and visible at home -

-  Go to story hour at your local library -

- Read to yourself in your child’s presence; share what you are reading and how much you enjoy reading -


   

   
   Remember, reading is fun and your  enthusiasm will make a difference to your child!



No comments:

Post a Comment

POSTS TO ENJOY

Procrastibaking: In the Kitchen with Julie (in Partnership with Literacy Connections)

Enjoy our first Thanksgiving special celebrating Literacy Connections and all things cookbook! https://www.procrastibakingpodcast.com/podcas...